Sunday, November 4, 2012

Christmas Angels Matched with Kids=Done

We had a wonderful service at church today.  Praise God, HE takes care of us so well.  We have all our kids signed up with a Christmas Angel.  Some of the packages have started coming in.  Blessings to all who are helping our kids have a wonderful Christmas.

One of our members, Heity Keju, was in the hospital this week.  I think she may have gone home.  Lee and I took communion to her, but they could not find her.  Of course, the Ebeye hospital isn't exactly up on the latest and greatest of anything. They do not have computers at the front desk to see what room your friend is in.  I know because I tried.  Lee said, I hope they did not put her in a room and forget she was there. I'm not sure they would know the difference. 

Marshallese Family Structure


An old Marshallese saying “Jitdam kapeel,” advises that asking about your family relationships guarantee wisdom.  In the island environment, everything from basic tasks such as gathering and cooking food to more labor intensive projects like building houses and canoes are only possible through group efforts.  Knowing your family relations through group efforts.  Knowing your family relations through group efforts.  Knowing your family relations was, and in many cases still is, the basis of survival.  For Marshallese, identities and obligations are based on the family unit, their family clan and their home island.

No comments: