Sunday, March 16, 2008
Trip to San Diego
The trip to San Diego was an adventure. The bookings were done for us because we would not have picked a 6;55 departure. It turned out that the time changed on that same Sunday. That made us lose an extra hour. We ended up getting up at 3:00 am in order to get to the airport two hours before and that made for a really long day. Getting through airport security was a bit like going through a maze. I appreciate and understand the need for the security but I question some of their reasoning. They checked our boarding passes twice within 150 feet from each request. I had one bag with all my prescription drugs, narcotics and all and they never hesitated. In the second bag I made sure I had only three 3 oz bottles of liquid. Everything else was in cream form. They sniffed and ran that bag three times.
We went to Denver first. We were extremely blessed there. It was about an hour between flights and it turned out we arrived and departed only one gate over. I was pretty happy I didn't have to walk from one end to the other for the next flight.
Lee slept through both flights. It wasn't a deep sleep, but sleep non the less. We arrived in SD about 9:55 am. Our hotel does not run shuttles to the airport so we had to take a cab. The cab driver must have thought he was in the Indy 500. Every corner and curve Lee and I would be slung up against one side or the other. I checked behind us to see if the border patrol was hot on our tails. The man never said one word the whole trip but he knew how to say cash only, $56. OUCH! There is more than one reason why we never call a cab.
The hotel room is really nice and the location is really good. It is a two room suit. We have a stove top, microwave, dishwasher, coffee pot, toaster, dishes, silver ware, pots and pans, free washers and dryers, etc. They feed you breakfast every morning and on Tue, Wed, and Thurs. they feed you dinner. So far it has been pretty tasty. There is a small strip mall next to our hotel with several eating places. There are as many foreign food places as American. Tia, Indian, and lots of oriental foods. Lee and I went into one BBQ place. Turned out not to be Southern BBQ but some kind of oriental BBQ. The side dish was rice. The meat tasted good but it was as tough as a leather shoe. There is an area where you can sit at outdoor tables. We were eating our tough meat and a lady walked buy with a little chow dog on a leash. Lee said, you better hold on to that dog tight lady (not within her hearing). The majority of people living in this area are Orientals and Middle Eastern.
We found a church that we think will be along our conservative southern beliefs (no instruments). They were supposed to pick us up Wed but no one showed up. It was a short notice however. It is about six miles away. They may have a difficult time finding someone in our area that is willing to commit to picking someone up for six weeks. We will not have a car unless we rent it which we probably will do a couple week ends.
I have a sister that lives in Hanford, CA and she will be down here today. Her and one of her daughters and her kids will be here about a week so you may not hear much from me next week. However, my body has not adjusted yet to the time changes and I usually wake up early and do these blogs.
Happy trails to you until we meet again! You youngins won't know where I dug that up from.
Blessings to all
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
OH OH...I can be first!!!
I think I need to start a cab business! 56 bucks!!! Wow that's a whole tank of gas for us!
Momma is so proud you made it first.
I love you grandma and grandpa. Try to find me some seashells. I love you very very much.
Love,
Julianna
Julianna has a new blog just for you. Check it out.
Post a Comment