Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Rambling

Happy Birthday Sandra! Are you still 29? The Parade magazine last Sunday had a listing of "What People Earn" I was depressed to learn that Leona Helmsley's dog, Trouble, earned $12 million last year. Leona left her millions to the dog when she passed away. A caretaker has sued the dog for the money. None of them will take it with them when they pass away either. There was a perfect storm at church last Sunday. All the leaders of the church had a situation where all but one were out of town at the same time. One of the leaders rearranged his flight so he could deliver the sermon. It was just Lee and him for class. Lee ended up leading singing. He did a good job. Everything is falling into place on Kwaj. Our house is being prepared. Our sponsors on Kwaj have bent over backwards to help us any way they can. The house we are getting is an older house with cinder blocks and bricks. They are best for not having a mold problem. They were built before dishwashers were the norm. This one has been refurbished so we have central AC and not the window units that are noisy. Our sponsor found a portable dishwasher on the island that had not been used very much. She talked them into bringing the price down in half of what they were asking. They are the greatest. One of the few hobbies I have is growing our own tomatoes. There is no comparison between a store bought tomato and a home grown tomato. Lee ends up doing most of the work helping me get them started. We were told that tomatoes do not grow well on the island. I suspect it is the salt water. I have grown ten foot tomato vines before so I have to try. Macy's is closing so our sponsors went to the store to buy what I needed to try and grow my tomatoes. Amy, I need you to pray for my tomatoes. Now that I know how many and what size my windows are we went shopping for window curtains Sat. There aren't any to buy on Kwaj. My niece had told us about a two story Target somewhere in SD. We found out where it was and checked it out. Unfortunately they did not have what we needed. We ended up going to JC Penney. Our sponsor had told us that JCP would mail to any AP address without any tax. I found what I wanted in the SD store and bought only a few sets to take with us in our suitcases. The rest I bought on line and had them mailed to Kwaj. They should be waiting for us when we arrive. Blessings to all.

8 comments:

Amy said...

I will pray for your tomato plants, and then I will pray for your soul for asking me to pray for yur tomato plants.

Not Hertz said...

You can't have too many prayers Amy. Prayers for my soul are always welcome. Prayers for my tomato plants are just an LOL for you.
Love Ya,

Gina said...

Can I pray for your tomato plants? Who knows you may be the one to repopulate the island with some strange variety of homegrown tomatoes.

BTW you can delete that junk comment...I hate when they use people's blogs to sell their junk!

Not Hertz said...

Works for me!

Amy said...

I really did enjoy the LOL. I told Mom about it.
I'm so happy you are blogging. Look at us, miles apart and chatting about your tomatoes. How cool is that?
I will pray for your tomatoes. I will pray for crazy big, luscious plants that are so glorious no man can deny the hand of God. The whole island will redeem their souls and it will all start with little ol' Avis' tomato plant.
(I'm only kind of kidding. That would be a pretty unique testimony)

Not Hertz said...

The Lord does work in mysterious ways. If I attract lost souls with my tomatoes, I will grow where he plants me :) The locals live on an island 4 miles away. They are very poor. C of C is well known for running their outreach on food.

Blessings to you and your family.

Sandra dodd said...

I am not far from 29... In fact I lost a whole year because I couldn't remember how old I was.... this last year I told every one I was 53 turns out I was 52 so I get to be 53 two years in a row... I think next year I shooting for 68 that way I don't have to think how old I am and I should get great comments on how good I look for 68.... hopefully!... if not I may have to aim for an older age....

Not Hertz said...

You might as well shoot for 100. It will make you look even better!I told Julianna she could have my BD. She had just turned 7 the month before and she asked her Mom if she was eight now. In about twenty years her perspective will change considerably.